Ricciardo claims he was unaware of the agreement, despite the CRB ruling that McLaren had the right to Piastri till 2023.
Daniel Ricciardo has stated that he was unaware that McLaren had hired Oscar Piastri to take his place in Formula 1 for the upcoming season.
Last week, McLaren revealed that Daniel Ricciardo would be departing the squad after two unimpressive seasons in which he has been soundly defeated by Lando Norris and shows no signs of improving.
While the matter was being heard by the FIA’s Contract Recognition Board, the Woking team was speculated to have recruited Alpine junior Piastri to replace his fellow Australian.
Because Piastri and McLaren have a binding contract, the CRB determined on Friday that Piastri will race alongside Norris in 2023.
Speaking at Zandvoort after a solid day of practise on Friday for the Dutch Grand Prix, Ricciardo confessed he was unaware of any agreement.
The day following the British Grand Prix, on July 4th, Piastri signed his contract with McLaren.
The following week, Ricciardo said on social media that he was still fully dedicated to McLaren, but that the squad had already made arrangements to recruit his replacement.
“To be honest, on the date [of Piastri signing], that’s the first I’ve heard,” the eight-time Grand Prix winner told Sky Sports F1.
“I’m not aware of timelines obviously and this and that and what the team is discussing.
“Before that date [July 4th], for months we were already discussing – not my future – but where we could improve in order to have a better future with the team.
“So I’m aware there was going to be talks ongoing.
“I guess what the team does preparing Oscar, that’s not my business in terms of what day they spoke.
“If that’s the case, then so be it. It’s not really my decision to make.
Daniel Ricciardo, F1, F1 2022, Formula 1, Grand Prix, Lando Norris, McLaren, Oscar Piastri