Many Formula One racers appear to have backed away from rumours about taking Sebastian Vettel’s place at Aston Martin for the upcoming season.
Many Formula One racers, including Daniel Ricciardo, seem to have disqualified themselves from taking Sebastian Vettel’s place at Aston Martin in 2023.
Due to Vettel’s Thursday statement that he would leave Formula One at the completion of 2022, Lance Stroll and a vacancy will exist at Aston Martin starting in 2023.
With only 19 points against driver Lando Norris’ 70 so far this season, Ricciardo has underperformed at McLaren, and there have been speculations that the Australian may leave the Woking-based squad at the end of the year.
In response, Ricciardo denied on social networks any claims he was considering quitting McLaren. On the night of the Hungarian Grand Prix, he was equally adamant when questioned about the open position at Aston Martin.
“Nothing against [Aston Martin], but as I said last week, my future is clear, and it’s here [at McLaren],” Ricciardo told media.
Aston Martin links are also denied by other racers
Along with Ricciardo, a number of other racers expressed their disinterest in the Aston Martin position, notably Alex Albon, who highlighted his concentration on his current squad, Williams.
“Obviously, Aston Martin are a great team,” said Albon.
“They’re clearly expanding as a team as well, but the focus right now has to be on this year.”
In addition, Esteban Ocon emphasised his pleasure with Alpine, where he has a contract through 2024, and mentioned that he had previously raced for the squad currently known as Aston Martin when it was known as Force India.
“I’ve been [there] already!” said Ocon.
“If you look at my Twitter account from 2018, I’ve been racing for the team back then.
“I’m good where I am at Alpine at the moment, but I know the team very well and I know what they’re capable of.”
Bottas finds humour in his circumstance
By mentioning his long-term contract with Alfa Romeo, Valtteri Bottas declared himself out of the race, joking that having such employment stability was a welcome departure from his prior year-by-year arrangement at Mercedes.
“I have a contract, something I never thought I could say! I’m fine, “said Bottas.”I never believed I could say this, but I have a contract! So I’m good,” said Bottas.
Kevin Magnussen, who returned to Haas on a multi-year contract on the eve of the 2022 campaign, also provided a brief denial.
“I’m contracted for next year, and very happy at Haas,” said the Dane.
Daniel Ricciardo, F1, F1 2022, Formula 1, Grand Prix, Lando Norris, McLaren, Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin